Developer Design notes:
Shadow Priest – Void Bolt now refreshes, rather than extends, Vampiric Touch and Shadow Word: Pain. Vampiric Touch and Shadow Word: Pain now generate Insanity on cast, and their durations have been adjusted. Dominate Mind renamed back to Mind Control, and usable on players. Psychic Horror removed.
Hey Shadow Priests. Let’s talk a bit about utility.
Shadow in Legion currently has a ridiculous amount of utility, way more than any other spec. I talked about that in the previous thread, here:
Shadow is in a very odd situation when it comes to utility, especially in PvP. The amount of potential utility they offer is astronomical. It’s a staggeringly long list: Body and Soul, Dispel Magic, Dominate Mind, Mass Dispel, Mind Bomb, Power Word: Shield, Psychic Horror, Psychic Scream, Purify Disease, Shackle Undead, Shadow Mend, Silence, Vampiric Embrace… probably something else I’ve forgotten offhand. But at the same time, despite the crazy number of utility spells at their fingertips, it’s actually quite hard for them to actually use many of them. Since their rotation is based on continuously generating Insanity as fast as possible, any time lost to utility is punishing, especially in Voidform, where you’re actually losing Insanity while casting other things. And then on top of that, many of the spells cost huge chunks of Insanity as well. We’re not happy with that situation, and are considering other potential options. They could probably stand to lose at least a couple spells off that list, but we’re also considering bringing back Mana as an additional resource that would just be used for limiting your usage of the many utility spells, with costs proportional to their impact.
The above list also forgot to include [*] the 3rd and 6th rows of PvP talents. As an update on this, we’ve decided to buff Mind Control baseline (effectively re-adding it to PvP on top of Mind Bomb / Psychic Voice), and remove Psychic Horror instead. That still leaves them with way more utility than anyone else, of course.
Then we have the problem of whether they can actually use all that utility. Currently, you mostly can’t, because of the Insanity costs, and how much that negatively impacts your offenses. We’ve decided to give Shadow (and Elemental and Enhancement) back the small mana bar like Balance currently has. Similar to other mana-using hybrid DPS, mana will be used for utility abilities, which should free you up to be able to use them much more than you can in the current build. (EDIT: To clarify, the switch to mana will hopefully make the NEXT build, not today’s build.)
Keep the feedback on this coming, thanks!
* EDIT: I had originally said ‘Fade w/ Artifact’ here as well. There was, at one point in development, an artifact trait that added damage reduction to Fade, similar to the old glyph, but it has since been changed. Sorry for the mistake.
I’ll post my view right after this blog summary of changes.
- Mind Control Name changed from “Dominate Mind” to “Mind Control”. Controls a mind up to level 41 for 30 sec. Does not work versus Mechanical beings
or players. Shares diminishing returns with other disorienting effects. Can be cast in Shadowform. 0.5% of Base Mana. 30 yd range. 30 sec cast (Channeled).
- Auspicious Spirits Your Shadowy Apparitions now deal 100% increased damage and generate
6Insanity. Shadow Priest – Level 75 Talent.
- Body and Soul Power Word: Shield and Leap of Faith
also increaseyour target’s movement speed by 40% for 3 sec. Priest – Level 30 Talent.
- Dominant Mind You may also control your own character while
Dominate Mind is active, and Dominate Mind now lasts 60 sec. Priest – Level 45 Talent.
- Fortress of the Mind Mind Flay
, Mind Blast, and Mind Spikedeal 10% more damage and generate 20% more Insanity. Shadow Priest – Level 15 Talent.
- Legacy of the Void
Casting Mind Blast increases the damage dealt by your next Shadow Word by 50%, stacking up to 2 times. Shadow Priest – Level 100 Talent.
- Mind Spike
Blasts the target for [ 1 + 50%of Spell Power ] Shadowfrost damage and increases the damage dealt by your next Mind Blast by 20%, stacking up to 5 times. Generates 5 Insanity. Shadow Priest – Level 100 Talent. 40 yd range. 1.5 sec cast.
- Shadow Word: Void Blasts the target’s mind for [ 1 + 220% of Spell Power ] Shadow damage. Generates
20Insanity. Shadow Priest – Level 15 Talent. 40 yd range. 1.5 sec cast.
- Void Ray Each time your Mind Flay deals damage, you gain 10% increased Mind Flay damage for 4 sec, stacking up to
6times. Shadow Priest – Level 60 Talent.
Discipline & Shadow
- Shadow Word: Pain A word of darkness that causes [ 1 +
62.5%of Spell Power ] Shadow damage instantly, and an additional [ 6 + 62.5%of Spell Power ] Shadow damage over 18 sec. Can be cast in Shadowform. Priest – Discipline & Shadow Spec. 2% of Base Mana. 40 yd range. Instant.
- Dispersion Disperse into pure Shadow energy for 6 sec, reducing all damage you take by 60%, but you are unable to attack or cast spells. Castable while stunned, feared, or silenced. Priest – Shadow Spec. Instant. 2 min cooldown.
- Mind Flay Assaults the target’s mind with Shadow energy, causing [ 4 +
30%of Spell Power ] Shadow damage over 3 sec and slowing their movement speed by 50%. Generates 8 Insanity over the duration. Can be cast in Shadowform. Priest – Shadow Spec. 40 yd range. 3 sec cast (Channeled).
- Shadowy Apparitions When your Shadow Word: Pain damage over time critically strikes, you also create a shadowy version of yourself that floats towards the target and deals
[ 45%of Spell Power ] Shadow damage. Priest – Shadow Spec.
- Silence Silences the target, preventing them from casting spells for 5 sec. Against non-players, also interrupts spellcasting and prevents any spell in that school from being cast for 3 sec. Can be cast in Shadowform. Priest – Shadow Spec.
All Shadow Orbs.30 yd range. Instant. 5 sec cooldown.
- Vampiric Touch A touch of darkness that causes
[ 8+ 77.7% of Spell Power ] Shadow damage over 24sec, and heals the Priest for 50% of damage dealt. If Vampiric Touch is dispelled, the dispeller flees in Horror for 3 sec. Priest – Shadow Spec. 40 yd range. 1.5 sec cast.
- Void Bolt Sends a bolt of pure void energy at the enemy, causing [ 1 + 333.3% of Spell Power ] Shadow damage and
extending the duration ofShadow Word: Pain and Vampiric Touch by 3 sec. Only useable inVoidform. Generates 16 Insanity. Priest – Shadow Spec. 40 yd range. Instant. 4.5 sec cooldown.
- VoidformActivate Voidform, increasing damage by 30%, reducing the cooldown on Mind Blast by 3 sec, and granting an additional 1% Haste every 1 sec. Insanity will drain increasingly fast until it reaches 0 and Voidform ends. When Voidform ends, you gain Lingering Insanity, allowing the Haste bonus to persist for 60 sec or until you next enter Voidform. Requires
100Insanity to activate. Priest – Shadow Spec. Instant.